St. John School campus is currently closed due to the COVID-19 virus. We have implemented our distance learning program for students for the remainder of the 2019/20 academic year. Please call the school office at 860-388-0849 for admissions inquiries. See here to register for 2020/21.
"Sport, properly directed, develops character, makes a man courageous, a generous loser, and a gracious victor; it refines the senses, gives intellectual penetration, and steers the will to endurance. It is not merely a physical development of them. Sport, rightly understood, is an occupation of the whole man, and while perfecting the body as an instrument of the mind, it also makes the mind itself a more refined instrument for the search and communication of truth and helps man to achieve that end to which all others must be subservient, to the service and praise of his Creator".
– Pope Pius XII, Sport at the Service of the Spirit, July 29, 1945
To Our Dedicated Coaches:
Thank you for your desire to serve our youth by giving of your time, talent, and energy for the development of the children of St. John School. Welcome to the staff! We are very blessed to have you aboard! Throughout the season, you will play many different roles in your efforts to provide quality adult Christian leadership to these youngsters. These range from being a teacher of fundamental skills to that of a disciplinarian, motivator, and minister of virtue. Your responsibilities lie in the development of knowledge of the game, training, fitness, virtue, health, as well as the safety of the children. You must be committed and organized to meet all of these tasks. The athletic policies and procedures of St. John are outlined and described in the Athletic Handbook as well as your coaching duties. It is imperative that you review the contents thoroughly and fully understand its details. As new ideas and solutions to problems evolve, some of the contents in the handbook will be revised to implement the needs of our staff and athletes.
Again, thank you for your dedication to the development of the children of St. John. We feel you support our belief that athletics are an integral part of the educational experience. Sport infuses the children with many virtues that are nurtured at home and must be refined within the school and its extracurricular activities. You are an important link in carrying out this mission, as your good example will have a powerful impact on your team. Good luck!
Sports Personnel Requirements
Adult Volunteers: Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches, & Club Moderators must complete items 1-6 listed here. All forms and information are linked under Applications, Forms, Course, and Supplements below.
- The Diocese of Norwich requires all coaches (or any personnel who wishes to interact with the students) to be screened and trained through the Office of Safe Enviornments by completing an online training program: Called To Protect. Please contact the St. John School's child advocate for instructions on how to fulfill this obligation. For more information on the Diocese of Norwich's policies, protocols, and training, please visit the Office of Safe Enviornments: www.norwichdiocese.org/Find/Diocesan-Offices/Safe-Environments
- Submit your application in a timely manner
- Understand and adhere to your responsibilities laid out by the Principal, aided by the Athletic Director
- Honor and sign the Coach Code of Ethics
- Honor and sign the Coach Contract
- Complete and pass the online Catholic Coaching Essentials Course test (Head coaches ONLY)
Applications, Forms, Courses, & Supplements
- Head Coach Application
- Volunteer Application
- Coach Contract
- Coach Code of Ethics Form
- Catholic Coaching Essentials Course. Click here for instructions. Visit website: Human Kinetics: Coach Education Center
- Office of Safe Enviornment
- Mandated Reporter Training
- St. John Coach Supplement
- Coach Responsibilities
- League Guidelines (2018-19)
- Parent/Coach Meeting Outline
- Choosing a Team Motto
- Sport related quotes from scripture
- Team communications app. Sign up for free: www.remind.com
- Concussions and Kids: What parents need to know
- Catholic Athletes For Christ
High School Aides
We gratefully welcome any high school student who wishes to volunteer as an aide to any of our sport teams. Please fill out and submit the following:
2018-19 Coaches, Assistants, and Volunteers
Cross Country: Mrs. Amy Katz, Mrs. Nicole Graham, Mr. Matthew Katz, Mrs. Moira Martin & Mr. Sean Martin. High School Aide: Agelina Marinelli
Co Ed Soccer: Mr. Jon Todzia, Mr. Rich Kollmer, Mrs. Valerie Boyd
GV Basketball: Mr. Andrew Pearson, Mr. Todd Roberts, Mrs. Valerie Boyd
BJV Basketball: Mr. Sean Martin, Mr. Jon Todziar. Mr. Wally Jones
BV Basketball: Mr. Scott Schoonmaker, Mr. Tom Coffey, Mr. Rich Kollmer, Mr. Jon Todzia