A safe and nurturing school environment.
- Self-contained classrooms, one per grade level for Pre-K to 5.
- Separate Middle School wing with homerooms and departmentalized classrooms for Grades 6 to 8.
- All doors to school are locked and access is provided through the Main Office buzz-in system.
- Security and safety at St. John School is a top priority with surveillance security cameras.
- Students routinely practice fire and safety drills conducted by the Police School Resource Officer.
- There is a computer in each classroom for assistance with lessons and research.
- Most classrooms, science lab and school library contain “smart board” technology to assist with instruction and research.
- Gymnasium/Cafeteria/Auditorium has updated flooring, electronic scoreboard, bleachers and portable lunch tables.
- Recent installation of energy efficient windows and HVAC equipment.
- Science lab – modern lab equipment, microscopes, and glassware for inquiry based learning.
- Computer room – with 30 stations and projector for instruction and presentations.
- Apple iPads (30 tablets) are used for classwork for grades Kindergarten to 8th Grade.
- Additional rooms include a large Library, Music room, Art room, and Spanish/Multipurpose room.
- Modern playground equipment, dedicated Pre-K and Kindergarten play area, large fenced-in and gated playing field and paved area.
- Nurse’s office with full-time nurse on-site.
- Close proximity to St. John Church allows for regular visits for educational and prayer purposes.
- Old Saybrook recognized as “Top 100 Best Communities for Young People,” with school located near music, art and dance facilities, strong sports and recreation programs, and shoreline amenities.
- School-wide and classroom Community Service Projects including food and clothing drives, visits to senior citizens, and other collections. The Student Council in Middle School co-ordinates several Community Service school-wide projects throughout the year.
- Each grade goes on field trips during the year to enhance their studies. Younger grades visit Main Street locations such as police station, fire station and US. Post Office.
- Yearly walk-a-thon fundraiser takes place within walking distance of the school.